Friday, February 15, 2013

Javagal - 6th Jan 2013


 Javagal






6th Jan 2013
Next morning, I left early, before dawn and the moment I stepped on to the road, the town plunged into darkness due to the familiar ‘power cut’. I bought a packet of biscuits and three liters of water, adding another 3 KGs to my backpack. I reached the temple with a plan to take some photographs in the morning light and move on to Haranahalli, which was a good 25 or so Kilometers from Javagal, a good long walk. There are two temples next to each other, one in Hoysala style and the other in non-Hoysala (Probably addition by Hampi Kings) style. The main temple is being renovated. There were people sitting in the hall with non-Hoysala looking hall, engaged in collective prayer under a single glaring neo light. (Yes, inside the temple)
Javagl- Under restoration
I gave up the idea of photography in the ghoulish lighting and instead took some photographs of the exteriors of the temple.
There is another Dravidian temple in the same premises. Perhaps it is one of those temples renovated during Devaraja’s time into which the deity has been moved and where pujas are being held. I had a darshan and a handful of Pongal.  As I took photographs of the temple, the poojari began asking me the regular questions in Tamil after I told him that I speak very little Kannada. After listening to my sob-story, he gave another large spoon of Pongal in plantain leaf. I was not thankless. As I turned to leave, I noticed mist has started enveloping the place.  

1 comment:

  1. Its amazing how the untouched places in india is in so much of its purest form....my heart is smiling.....especially with u getting another large spoonful of pongal....u deserved it....paavam

    reading about the pest on the motorbike.....made me laugh as i was imagining u shooing the guy off yr back...hahahahha glad he was not a continuing menace....shapaaadi

    ReplyDelete