Thursday, February 14, 2013

Doddagaddavalli - 4th Jan 2013


 Doddagaddavalli






4th Jan 2013
The morning was darker than I had expected at 6 AM at Hassan as I began to walk towards Belur. The northern India was seeing some really cold weather and perhaps as a result mid-Karnataka was cool. In my mind the distance, 29 KMs which later turned out to be erroneous, was weighing heavier than the backpack. I had planned to walk to Belur and on my way wanted to visit Doddagaddavalli, the first ever Hoysala temple for me.
Doddagaddavalli Gopura
I was not really sure of what to expect in the next 10 days, the plan with which I had started. There was no fixed plan, no idea where I would be staying except a want in my mind to spend the nights in temples and schools. That, as I said, was only an idea. I had planned to work around the ‘morning ablution’ problem on the fly.

The sun rose to my right as I was heading north. The traffic was mild but sufficiently dense for me to keep an eye over my shoulder.  There was a village almost every 5 KMs and the road was not at all secluded. People were friendly and I broke the walk every hour or so to sip sweet tea. I also calibrated my pedometer, to the KM with the number of steps it took.
After saying hello to numerous children on my way, finally found, after a couple of hours, an inconspicuous idly shop with name board written in Kannada. It was probably written by the owner of the idly shop, to save some money, in spite of the obvious lack of training.
I started flitting across the road depending upon which side had ample shadow. I stopped for a break in a shop. An affable old man with sun worn wrinkles, with a tooth brush in hand and wide grin on his face welcomed me. He asked many questions in Kannada and finally asked the reason I was walking. In my limited Kannada I explained to him my ten day plan. I made it a point to hold out my plan so I will not be able to walk out of it easily. He asked me if it was a pilgrimage and I said no. He then told that every year he walks with family, mother included, about 300 KMs, as a matter of fact, as one walker to another.  I simpered and moved on. The fate had no plan to kid-glove me.
About 3 KMs from Hagare, I saw a faded board with a picture of a temple. I surmised, from the 1114 AD, that this is the path I have to take to Doddagaddahalli. The distance was 3 KMs and additional 6 KMs to the already planned 30 KMs looked daunting. I had already started respecting a Kilometer and in the next couple of days, each step.
There were no means of transport at that time and I decided to tread on. I climbed a small hill, thinking that was the road to the temple but could see the first Hoysala temple from a vantage point, further down the beaten road, next to water body.
Hoyasala temples are unique in style. They were built about 700 to 900 years ago, a little ahead of Islamic invasion. They are built with soap stone, which is comparatively soft. The sculptures came our quite sharp, depending on the quality of the stone and normally the high quality, fine grain, dark ones were reserved for the main portions and deities. Somewhere I had read that Hoyasala Kings had made about 900 plus temples. I wanted to see how many I could visit.
The temple is almost hidden between houses but is kept clean and protected by ASI with its trademark fence. The temple has a Mantap outside its compound with the lathed pillars. Someone in the Mantap mentioned that the temple is open for Darshan and I walked in.

Doddagaddavalli is an unusual temple. I recall that it was my first Hoysala temple and there was much anticipation, yet I say that even if I have to visit again, it would still appear unusual.
The temple is within a rectangular high-wall and you step into it crossing the Mantap that stood on the outside. The temple itself is shaped like a cross. As you enter on to your left is the ‘Garba graha’ of Kali in her fiery red attire. (Though the deity was Maha Kali, the temple is known as Sri Lakshmi temple) She is guarded by two fierce looking men with handlebar moustache and most fecund looking testes.  Lord shiva occupies the’ Garba Graha’ right opposite to Maha Kali on the longer side of the cross and on either side, towards Shiva’s side are Vishnu and Lakshmi. This is very Dravidian deities housed in Hoysala architecture.  
This looks like an early idea of a temple. If one stands at the midpoint of the cross, all the four deities can be seen.  The temple is small but extremely beautiful. On hindsight, I realize though I had been there, yet have missed much of it.  
It was mid-day and I was hungry with nothing to eat. The application in my mobile told me that I can cut across uncharted road and reach Hassan-Belur road ahead of where I took the diversion. It turned out to be true. I reached the road in short time and stopped for lunch. I had walked about 25 KMs already and decided to take a bus to Belur.

No comments:

Post a Comment