Saturday, February 16, 2013

Didaga 8th Jan 2013



 Didaga


 
The walk to Didaga was a long one and it was already a late and I pushed along. I passed a school along the way and as soon as I did, the bell rang.  In about 20 minutes there were about 30 to 50 children gaining on me, and they all shouted and ran after me and joined, out of unadulterated curiosity. Again the children were extremely friendly and asked my name (“What is your name?”) and I always answer it with “it does not matter”, more to provoke them into asking more questions or to make them ask the same question in different ways. I asked how far Didaga was and they answered it was another 8 Kilometers. I knew I do not have much time. There were 5 girls who were going further along the same route as mine and I started walking even faster and the girls chatted with me, told their names, classes they attend. We walked another 30 minute or so till the last girl dropped off. I, as we tried our utmost to make each other understand, wondered how safe it is for these girls to travel alone all by themselves at that time of the day. Left over from modern living. Perhaps, none from that place ever gave it a thought. Such safety was a given thing, perhaps.
 After the last girl dropped off, I saw an auto standing in a small farm house. I thought that the auto could have come to drop goods and walked into the farm, engaged the auto and asked him to rush to Didaga. On reaching the temple, I was really sad to see the condition of the temple, which could fall down any time. I pulled down my back pack and opened the camera bag only to find the camera missing. I had left it in ‘Vignasante’
Didaga - In ruin
 I quickly offered the auto a handsome rent to take me back to ‘Vignasante’. As we rode towards ‘Vignasante’ I was wondering about the chances of recovering the camera, which was expensive from Indian standard, equivalent of about USD 800. The thought of losing all the shots I had taken in the earlier walk depressed me further. As a contingency, I made plan as to how to return home and also planned how to approach Police. The auto chugged along and after about 40 minutes or so, we reached the temple. The caretaker was nowhere to be seen. My heart sank. The only connection between me and the camera had vanished because the camera was left where I had the conversation with the caretaker.  I climbed up the steps and only the contractors were there, almost packing to go home. One of them casually shouted nonchalantly to the crane driver to “give that camera”. I stood rooted to the spot, reveling in the good fortune the day has brought and the misfortune I was protected against. Today was a high dividend day.
I returned to Tiptur with a plan to go and spend the night in Chennarajapatnam, from where I planned to visit Nuggehalli and Nagalapura the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment