Monday, February 18, 2013

Naglapura 9th Jan 2013

Naglapura


I resumed my walk to Naglapura and after an hour or so, passed a village. The sun was right overhead. There was a house by the side of the road where two boys were lazing around and I asked them the distance to Naglapura and they told it was another 10 KMs or more.









 


I resumed my walk to Naglapura and after an hour or so, passed a village. The sun was right overhead. There was a house by the side of the road where two boys were lazing around and I asked them the distance to Naglapura and they told it was another 10 KMs or more. My heart sank. There was a bus coming in a few minutes, they told, which takes me to a place from where I can walk to Naglapura. The bus did come and I boarded and reached a small village with two shops and a modern temple. A road ran to the right of the road, along the bank of a tank with no water. I do not know what summer will be like. People pointed that road as the one going to Naglapura and I started walking.
Naglapura
The topography has a pattern. The road goes up a slope that gets less and less green and then goes down to a green patch of coconut trees. On the road to Naglapura, there was a vantage point, one could see multiple patches of coconut trees, source of water. I walked till I reached a village and asked around if that was Naglapura. The woman did not know about Naglapura. I went on and there were many children who came running seeing me (it must have been the shorts and the backpack) They were playing on the school ground by the side of the road. I parked myself under the tree. I almost all of them were in attire denoting “Sabaramala pilgrimage’. That is a long distance. They explained that they instead go to another nearby temple instead. I asked them about Naglapura and they told that I have passed the road to Naglapura. I could not believe because there was no other road on the way. It was another 7 KMs by walk, backtracking the same way for a while and then taking the road to Naglapura. I was quite unhappy with myself for having missed the road. As providence would have it, in a few minutes a bus was scheduled to reach that will take me to Naglapura. And the conversation with the children warmed up and they were very enthusiastic and some even wanted my autograph. (I suspect that one of them knew what an ‘autograph’ was and he just wanted to use it) Soon the bus appeared and there were about 25 boys and girls chorusing ‘Naglapura, Naglapura’ in unison. I was an instant VIP
The bus retraced the road I came by for about 5 KMs and then backtracked at an acute angle into a rugged, uncovered road. No wonder I had missed it. The road looked nothing important.
Naglapura has two temples, I understood later, and one of them was right in the middle of the village. The caretaker was nowhere to be taken. There were many children playing on the road and soon they followed me into the temple and pestered me to take a photograph of their Barbie doll. I did. When I went into the temple, I asked them to leave me alone inside to take those photographs I had traveled this far to take. 
The construction of the temple seemed to have been stopped towards the end and the sculptures are in various state of incompleteness. The temple has seen some vandalism and I also found some barbed wire stored inside the temple. I could not understand the rationale of banning tripod inside the temple on the premises that its sharp legs may damage the soft stone but allow storage of barbed wire. 

Anyway, soon I was done with my business and the caretaker arrived from nowhere.  There would soon be a bus to take me back to the same two shop village. He locked the temple and left the keys in a nearby house and soon we boarded a bus that came in a few minutes. I changed a couple of buses and reached Channarayapatna.

No comments:

Post a Comment